This information is also available in the following format:
- Portfolio overview
At 30 June 2007, the agriculture, fisheries and forestry portfolio comprised:
- the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (the Department), which includes the Bureau of Rural Sciences, the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
- two prescribed agencies under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997—Biosecurity Australia and the Dairy Adjustment Authority
- one statutory marketing authority—the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation
- three regulatory authorities—the Australian Fisheries Management Authority, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, and the Wheat Export Authority
- eight research and development corporations—Cotton; Fisheries; Forest and Wood Products; Grains; Grape and Wine; Land and Water Resources; Rural Industries; and Sugar.
Figure 1 shows the portfolio structure at 30 June 2007.
The Department and the various agencies share one planned portfolio Outcome:
More sustainable, competitive and profitable Australian agriculture, food, fisheries and forestry industries.
Biosecurity Australia has its own planned Outcome:
To provide science based quarantine assessments and policy advice that protects Australia’s favourable pest and disease status and enhances Australia’s access to international animal and plant related markets.
Each portfolio agency has one or more planned outcomes and outputs that contribute to the overall achievement of the portfolio Outcome.
This annual report concerns the Department and Biosecurity Australia. The statutory marketing and regulatory authorities and the research and development corporations, which are administered by the Department under the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997, publish their own annual reports.
The Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry oversees the portfolio, assisted by the Minister for Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation and the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (see Figure 1). The incumbents throughout 2006–07 were:
- the Hon. Peter McGauran MP: Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Senator the Hon. Eric Abetz: Minister for Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation
- the Hon. Sussan Ley MP: Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
15 Sep 2009