The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry has developed the Balance database to support the search for potential appointees to portfolio boards and committees. Balance lists people with relevant skills, experience and expertise who are interested in being considered for these positions. Consistent with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988, the database contains personal details, information on work experience, educational qualifications, interests and areas of expertise.
Who are we looking for?
Portfolio boards and committees benefit from a diverse and balanced membership. Decision-makers with a range of skills, experience and background can help generate innovative approaches to business strategies.
People with relevant skills and experience who would be suitable for part-time positions on the boards of these statutory organisations and various other advisory boards are encouraged to register on the Balance database. Appointments are usually for a period of three years.
These positions offer the chance to influence the future of our agricultural industries and to set the agenda on important issues such as research and development. Board membership offers opportunities for talented individuals to exercise their professional skills and expertise in entrepreneurship, governance, strategic planning and stakeholder communications. We particularly encourage participation and involvement from women, young people and indigenous groups.
Advertisements for the majority of portfolio positions are placed in major newspapers and relevant industry journals, and are distributed via a wide range of industry networks.
- An overview of the Balance database
- Registration Form PDF [483 KB]
- Registration Form Word [83 KB]
- Board appointments - Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry portfolio statutory and other portfolio bodies: provides information on governance and accountability, the board selection process and information on the individual portfolio bodies
- Subscribe to receive email updates on portfolio vacancies and related information
- A full list of upcoming vacancies
For further information email balance database or telephone 02 6272 3933.
Appointments to portfolio bodies
The Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry portfolio has many statutory and non statutory bodies that play an important role in ensuring the future prosperity of Australia’s rural industries. They include industry-based research and development corporations (RDCs), marketing and regulatory authorities, and advisory councils and bodies such as:
- Australian Fisheries Management Authority
- Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority
- Cotton Research and Development Corporation
- Fisheries Research and Development Corporation
- Grains Research and Development Corporation
- Grape and Wine Research and Development Corporation
- National Rural Advisory Council
- Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation
- Statutory Fishing Rights Allocation Review Panel
- Sugar Research and Development Corporation
- Wheat Exports Australia
- Wine Australia Corporation
23 Aug 2012