Codex Committee on General Principles
(Host Government - France)
The Codex Committee on General Principles (CCGP) deals with rules, principles and procedures referred by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, particularly those which define the purpose and scope of Codex work and the nature of Codex standards. The committee also addresses economic impact statements.
Existing Codex standards
A number of standards relating to general principles* have now been endorsed and adopted into the international food code. They include standards on:
- Definition of Traceability/ Product Tracing
- Statements of Principle Relating to the Role of Food Safety Risk Assessment
- Statements of Principle Concerning the Role of Science in The Codex Decision Making Process and the extent to which other factors are taken into account
- Working Principles for Risk Analysis for Application in the Framework of the Codex Alimentarius
- Code of Ethics for International trade in food including concessional and food aid transactions.
*This is an indicative list only. For a full list of standards approved by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, please consult its Official List of Standards.
Outcomes from the 35th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission
The 35th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission adopted the amendments to the procedural manual as endorsed by the Codex Committee on General Principles.
The Committee met for its 27th Session in Paris, France from 2-6 April 2012. At this meeting the Committee agreed to forward to the 34th Commission:
- The Provisions on the Use of Proprietary Methods in Codex Standards developed by the CCMAS
- The revised Risk Analysis Principles and Procedures Applied by the Codex Committee on Food Hygiene provided by the CCFH
- The separated Risk analysis principles applied by the CCFA and the CCCF
- The revised Definition of contaminants provided by the CCCF
Other matters of interest to the Commission
- The Committee agreed on holding a facilitated work session on issues related to standards held at step 8
- The Committee agreed to consider further at its next session the following items: issues related to economic impact statements, Codex/OIE cooperation, the revision of its terms of reference after examining the discussion paper on economic impact statements
- The Committee will consider at its next session the following new items: representation of Officers of the CAC in Codex sessions other than sessions of the CCEXEC and CAC; reference to information documents; and cooperation between General Subject Committees and Commodity Committees.
Download the report from this meeting.
The 28th Session of the Committee on General Principles will be held in Paris, France in 2014.
25 Jul 2012