Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses
Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (Host Government – Germany)
The Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) studies nutritional issues referred by the Codex Alimentarius Commission. It also develops guidelines, general principles and standards for food including food with special dietary uses.
Existing Codex Standards
Standards relating to nutrition and foods for special dietary uses* that have been endorsed and adopted into the international food code:
- Canned Baby Foods
- Formula Foods for Use in Weight Control Diets
- Formula Foods for Use in Very Low Energy Diets for Weight Reduction
- Formulated Supplementary Foods for Older Infants and Young Children
- General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods
- Guidelines on Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements
- Infant Formula
- Labelling of and Claims for Prepackaged Foods for Special Dietary Use
- Labelling of and Claims for Foods for Special Medical Purposes
- Nutrition Labelling
- Processed Cereal–Based Foods for Infants and Children
- Use of Nutrition Claims.
* This is an indicative list only. For a full list of standards approved by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, please consult its Official List of Standards.
The 35th Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses was held in Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany from 4-8 November 2013.
Matters for Adoption by the 37th Session of the Commission
The committee agreed to:
- advance to Step 5 the Proposed Draft Revision of the Codex General Principles for the Addition of Essential Nutrients to Foods (CAC/GL 9-1987)
- forward the NRV-R for protein to be included in the Codex Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling for adoption.
Proposal for New Work
The Committee agreed to submit to the Commission, through the Executive Committee a proposal for new work on Potential NRV for Potassium in Relation to the Risk of NCD.
Other Matters of Interest to the 37th Session of the Commission
The Committee agreed:
- to retain at Step 4 the Review of the Codex Standard for Follow-up Formula (CODEX STAN 156-1987);
- to return to Step 2/3 for redrafting, comments and further discussion at the next session the Proposed Draft Additional or Revised Nutrient Reference Values for Labelling Purposes in the Codex Guidelines on Nutrition Labelling (para. 36); and the Proposed Draft Amendment of the Standard for Processed Cereal-Based Foods for Infants and Young Children (CODEX STAN 74-1981) to include a New Part B for Underweight Children
Codex Committee on Food Additives
- Note 55 “Singly or in combination, within the limits for sodium, calcium, and potassium specified in the commodity standard” should apply to all relevant provisions, both with numerical levels and at GMP, in the Standard for Infant Formula and Formulas for Special Medical Purposes Intended for Infants (CODEX STAN 72-1981). (para. 7)
- The limits of sodium that applies to certain food additive provisions in the Standard for Canned Baby Foods (CODEX STAN 73-1981) should also apply to the relevant provisions of the Standard for Processed Cereal- Based Foods for Infants and Young Children (CODEX STAN 74-1981). (para. 8)
- The report from this meeting
The 36th Session of the Committee has been scheduled to be held in Germany from 24-28 November 2014.
06 Dec 2013