Taxation measures - Australian Taxation Office
The Australian Taxation Office can help people affected by drought and other natural disasters by
- allowing more time to pay tax debts without incurring interest charges, or
- arranging for tax debts to be paid in instalments without interest charges.
In special circumstances, the Commissioner for Taxation may release individuals from payment of income tax, fringe benefits taxes and some other taxes where it is shown that payment would cause serious hardship.
The Tax Office will look at circumstances on a case–by–case basis.
There are other taxation measures and concessions available to drought–affected farmers. This includes:
- farm management deposits
- profit from the forced disposal or death of livestock
- proceeds from double wool clips
- insurance recoveries
- deductions for water facilities and landcare operations.
For More Information and to Apply
- Phone the Tax Office on 13 11 42
- See the Tax Office factsheet on their website: Tax concessions applicable to farmers as a result of natural disasters
21 Mar 2014