What we do
The Dairy Section is part of the Livestock Industries and Animal Welfare Branch in the Agricultural Productivity Division of the Department. This section has several main responsibilities:
- provides advice to the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, and the department’s Executive in relation to domestic dairy issues
- consults with industry in developing policy advice
- monitors the Statutory Funding Agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and Dairy Australia Limited and associated legislation
- liaises with various key dairy industry stakeholders, and
- contributes to management of market opportunities for Australian dairy producers through participation in international forums such as the Australia-Japan Dairy Talks.
- Dairy Australia maintains detailed statistics about the Australian dairy industry.
- The Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences also produces detailed data about the dairy industry through its farm surveys and commodity statistics reports.
Below are some useful links for all sectors of the Australian dairy industry.
Australian Dairy Farmers Limited
Australian Dairy Products Federation
National Farmers Federation (NFF)
New South Wales Farmers’ Association’s Dairy Committee (NSWFA)
United Dairyfarmers of Victoria (UDV)
Queensland Dairyfarmers Organisation Ltd (QDO)
Tasmanian Farmers & Graziers Association’s Dairy Council (TFGA)
Western Australian Farmers Federation’s Dairy Council (WAFF)
09 May 2011