Elsewhere on DAFF
Marine Pest Sectoral Committee (MPSC)
The Marine Pest Sectoral Committee develops and coordinates the implementation of harmonised, national arrangements to identify, minimise and address the pest risk to Australia’s marine environment and associated industries, and plays an advocacy role within Government for highlighting the impact of marine pests on Australia’s marine environment and associated industry.
- Develop, coordinate, implement and monitor national activities to address marine pest related biosecurity issues
- provide expert scientific, technical and policy advice on marine pest related biosecurity issues to the National Biosecurity Committee (NBC)
- provide leadership in the implementation of the National System for the Prevention and Management of Marine Pest Incursions
- develop and implement arrangements to support and enhance the national capacity to respond to outbreaks of introduced marine pests
- engage stakeholders in the development and implementation of national activities
MPSC comprises two representatives from the Australian Government and one government representative from each state and the Northern Territory. Members come from the agency with responsibility for marine pest issues within each jurisdiction but bring a whole of government position to MPSC discussions.
The committee has three observers based on technical/scientific expertise. New Zealand is a standing observer on MPSC.
The Chairperson is selected by the membership and appointed for a two-year term.
Secretariat support is provided by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.
Face-to-face meetings are convened twice a year, with additional teleconference sessions as required. Meetings are hosted by member jurisdictions.
A stakeholder workshop is held in conjunction with each MPSC meeting to provide an opportunity for stakeholders to engage with members on national marine pest policy and programs.
A communiqué is published soon after each meeting, informing stakeholders of outcomes of the meeting.
Terms of Reference
View the Marine Pest Sectoral Committee's terms of reference
11 Sep 2012