Elsewhere on Department of Agriculture
Costing Details of Proposed Budget
The proposed research position budget is based on a formula used by a number of Cooperative Research Centres. It includes direct salary costs, salary oncosts, an allowance for experimental/operational costs and an ‘overhead’ payment to the hosting institution to cover indirect costs.
Costs are estimated as follows:
2) Australian Research Council salary rates12 which for a Postdoctoral Fellowship in 2008 is $78,591 p.a.(including 28% direct on-costs). Given likely increments, this should be budgeted to rise to $85,000 over the next 3 years.
3) Experimental costs - $20,000 p.a.
4) ‘Overhead’ payment - $20,000 p.a.
1) Based on ARC industry scholarships the full annual tax-free stipend is $26,140.
2) A student in receipt of a university scholarship may receive a smaller stipend, around $19,60013 and a ‘top-up’ to the ARC industry scholarship rate.
3) A small support allocation might be made, but universities are expected to meet the other costs associated with students from their general grant funding.
Information Exchange – prospective activities:
- Annual conference a two-day event - venue hire ($10,000), proceedings ($5,000), two international guest speakers ($5,000 each) – total $25,000
- Presentations at international conferences – 2 p.y. each receiving $5,000 support - $10,000
- Establish professional society - $10,000 p.y. secretarial support
- Create web site ($10,000), annual maintenance by professional society ($5,000) and annual hosting cost ($5,000) - $20,000.
12 See the Australian Research Council web page: Salaries and stipends
09 Oct 2009