Elsewhere on DAFF
Category 6: Non approved countries
The importation of cats and dogs from a DAFF non approved country can only occur indirectly via DAFF approved country.
If you intend to import cats and dogs indirectly via DAFF approved country, you must first contact the quarantine service in the DAFF approved country to ensure that cats and dogs are eligible for entry. Cats and dogs must meet all of the pre and post-entry quarantine requirements of the DAFF approved country.
Cats and dogs must be continuously resident in DAFF approved country for a minimum of six months prior to export. There are no exceptions to this requirement. Cats and dogs must meet all of the DAFF import conditions that apply to the DAFF approved country before being eligible for import into Australia.
- The cat/dog is currently living in Thailand
- Thailand is not DAFF approved country.
- Singapore is DAFF approved country.
- You will then need to contact the quarantine service in Singapore to determine whether they allow cats/dogs to be imported into Singapore from Thailand.
- If the animal can be imported into Singapore, 6 months after arriving in Singapore the cat/dog may be imported into Australia. This is provided the animal meets all of the DAFF import conditions for cats/dogs from Singapore.
Note: Singapore is only one example of DAFF approved country. Not all cats and dogs must be sent to Singapore to be eligible for import into Australia.
All vaccinations, blood samples and blood testing required by DAFF must be conducted whilst the cat or dog is resident in DAFF approved country. DAFF will not accept any pre-export vaccinations, blood samples or blood testing completed in DAFF non approved country.
You can commence the import preparation to meet the conditions for Australian Quarantine as soon as the cat or dog arrives in the DAFF approved country. You do not need to wait for your cat or dog to meet the residency condition of six months before starting the import process.
Please be aware of the DAFF import conditions by reading the information package relevant to the DAFF approved country from the Bringing cats and dogs to Australia home page.
DAFFAnimal Import Operations Branch
GPO Box 858
Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: +61 2 6272 4454
Fax: +61 2 6272 3110
Email: Animal Imports
17 Apr 2013