Motorcycles must be inspected at an AQIS freight depot. Your customs broker/freight forwarder will have a list of AQIS approved depots. Either yourself or your agent should inform AQIS of the depot you choose. Please note, you may be charged for unpacking and storage at the depot, you should contact the depot to establish the exact cost of this function.
Motorcycles must be thoroughly cleaned both internally and externally before arrival in Australia. If the motorcycle meets AQIS cleanliness standards it will be released from Quarantine. If the motorcycle is contaminated AQIS will direct it for cleaning at a QAP at the importer's expense. The motorcycle will then be re-inspected by AQIS. If the motorcycle is found to be heavily contaminated it may be exported from Australia at the importer’s expense.
Please contact the relevant AQIS regional office for the current costs of quarantine services.
Please be aware of the following points when importing used motorcycles:
1. Your motorcycle must be thoroughly clean from soil and road grime, plant matter and seeds. Important points to check are;
- Wheels, wheel guards, mud guards
- Engine bay - remove water from any reservoirs (excluding radiator) and ensure your radiator is clean and free of debris in the cooling fins
- The underside of the motorcycle must be clean
- Behind the fairings and side-covers
- The motorcycle must be clean and free of all quarantine risk material, including soil, sand, seed, plant material and gravel.
2. Additional information
- Please contact the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service for information on custom duties. Phone 1300 363 263 or +61 2 6275 6666 (from outside Australia).
- You should also contact the Department of Infrastructure and Transport for information about permit/registration requirements. Phone 1800 815 272 or +61 2 6274 6013 (from outside Australia).
3. The AQIS regional office is where the Quarantine Entry will be lodged. If you choose to use a customs broker they will handle this.
4. After lodging a Quarantine Entry, an appointment to inspect the vehicle will need to be made. You may need to be present during the inspection.
5. The importer is responsible for all Quarantine costs.
6. Please ensure the keys are provided as AQIS will inspect the internal compartments, engine bay and the boot of the motorcycle.
AQIS maintains a public database - AQIS’s Import Conditions Database (ICON) that holds the conditions for importing goods into Australia. ICON is a simple and convenient way to access information about Australian import conditions for more than 20 000 plant, animal, microbial, mineral and human products.
Please see the ICON 'Machinery - Used passenger vehicles, used road vehicles including spare parts (non-agricultural)' import case details for detailed conditions on the importation of used vehicles/motorcycles.
06 Aug 2009