Elsewhere on DAFF
Sending 'Khat' to Australia
The importation of khat is controlled under the ‘Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations’. To import khat you must be in possession of both a licence to import and a permit to import issued by the Department of Health and Ageing
As of 26 June 2012 you no longer need to obtain a Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) import permit for dried khat. However, there are several steps you need to take to ensure that you have followed the correct procedures for importing this product into Australia.
- Khat must be thoroughly dried and not capable of propagation.
- Consignments of khat should be free of insects, soil and other contamination.
- Any packaging used with the consignment must be clean and new.
All consignments are subject to clearance and random inspection by DAFF. If contaminated, your consignment of khat will need to be treated by DAFF before you can collect it.
You need to be aware that treatment of khat may damage the goods
- If you wish to proceed with the treatment you must complete the payment form and send it with the relevant payment fee to DAFF. The goods will be sent for treatment only after payment has been received.
- The treatment process may take up to 4 weeks for completion.
- The khat will be returned to the mail centre after treatment.
Benefits of importing clean consignments of khat
There are several benefits to ensuring that you are importing clean consignments of khat into Australia including:
- You will not need to pay additional fees for treatment of the khat consignment.
- The clearance time will be much shorter and you will receive your goods sooner.
- There is no risk of your goods being damaged due to a required treatment.
DAFF contact details
If you have any additional queries or require further information on any of these matters you can contact:
Melbourne Airmail Transit Centre
2–6 Sperry Drive
Tullamarine VIC 3043
Ph: +61 3 9310 3155
DAFF Melbourne regional office
Corner Grants and Centre Roads
Tullamarine VIC 3043
Ph: +61 3 8318 6700
Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service
Locked Bag 7097
Canberra ACT 2601
13 Sep 2012