Elsewhere on Department of Agriculture
Partnerships in Biosecurity
DAFF-Customs Memorandum of Understanding
The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) and the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service establishes the framework for how the two agencies work together.
DAFF and Customs and Border Protection officers work side-by-side at Australia’s airports, seaports and mail centres supporting legitimate trade and travel and protecting the Australian community from a range of border and biosecurity risks.
The MOU was signed at an official ceremony in Canberra on 21 July 2011 by DAFF’s Secretary, Dr Conall O’Connell and the Customs and Border Protection’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr Michael Carmody.
The MOU underpins the strategic working relationship between the two agencies where collaborative cooperation will identify opportunities to improve our effectiveness and efficiency in managing our common border protection and biosecurity functions.
The agreement supports the spirit of collaboration, cooperation and our commitment to working together.
The MOU describes the relationship between the two agencies and the agreed working principles seeking:
- Community confidence
- Capability maximisation
- Global and regional partnerships.
Several annexes to the MOU, covering specific joint activities follow:
- Personnel (Annex)
- Passenger and crew processing at international and minor airports (Annex)
- Administration of Commerce (Trade Descriptions) Act 1905 (Annex)
- Cost Recovery Arrangements and Revenue Collection (Annex)
- Joint communications (Annex E1)
- Shared Property arrangements (Annex D1)
- International Mail (Annex)
- Air and Sea Cargo Operations (Annex A3)
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT) (Annex C1)
- Information Sharing (Annex C3)
- Sea traveller processing at cruise passenger terminals and wharf side (Annex)
- Targeted Campaigns (Annex F1) PDF [4 MB] Word [44 KB]
- Offshore Maritime Operations (Annex) PDF [5 MB] Word [37 KB]
- Onshore Maritime Operations (Annex) PDF [537 KB] Word [111 KB]
06 Mar 2014