The Australian Government’s climate change position paper: Adapting to Climate Change in Australia sets out the vision for adapting to the impacts of climate change.
To realise this vision, the government plays a key role in the provision of information and the funding of public good research.
In relation to climate change adaptation:
- DAFF administers the four year initiative Australia’s Farming Future. The initiative delivers a range of activities to help primary producers in adapting and responding to climate change.
- Australia’s Farming Future’s Climate Change Research Program has invested $11.5 million to the Adaptation Research Program. In addition, the Climate Change Research Program’s demonstration projects have tested adaptation strategies through modelling and on-farm demonstration activities.
- DAFF, in partnership with the Western Australian Government, is also implementing initiatives such as the WA Pilot, which includes measures like the Farm Planning Program. The program will provide financial assistance for training that aims to manage the social impact of a changing climate on production and includes personal and business goals.
- The Carbon Farming Futures Program’s outcomes will allow Australian land managers to make informed business decisions in relation to climate change and to take advantage of new business opportunities through carbon markets. This will build the resilience of land sector businesses while delivering climate change adaptation results.
- The Caring for Our Country Program is jointly administered by DAFF and the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities. The program funds projects across Australia that improve biodiversity and sustainable farm practices while providing essential ecosystem services in a changing climate.
- DAFF, through Biosecurity, aims to avoid the entry of imported pest and diseases, facilitating technologies for climate change adaptation and improving the Australian access to international markets.
Climate Change Adaptation Links
Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES)
Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency (DCCEE)
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (SEWPaC)
CSIRO – Climate Adaptation Flagship
National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF)
Climate Change Research Strategy for Primary Industries (CCRSPI)
22 Mar 2012