Live Animals


Can anyone get access to MICoR?

  • Exporters and affiliated industries can access all areas of MICoR if the Department of Agriculture has granted them access. The general public can access general importing requirements for non-livestock species and companion animals.

How do I access content in MICoR?

  • Some content in MICoR requires a username and password to access, with the following exceptions: general importing country requirements for plants, importing country requirements for non-livestock species of animals, and companion animals.

  • To obtain access to MICoR you must complete the ‘apply for access’ form on the grey login panel of the commodity home page.

  • Note that access is granted to the individual who completed the application form for access. The Department of Agriculture does not provide generic access for organisations.

How do I register for a MICoR account and obtain a login?

  • To apply for access to MICoR, open MICoR (see ‘Where is MICoR?’), select your commodity (eg Fish, or Dairy) and click on ‘Apply for access’ in the grey box that is on the right-hand side of the screen.

  • Fill in the questionnaire, which includes your reason for requesting an account. Staff of the Department of Agriculture will assess the application.

  • Access is not instantaneous. You will receive an email within two days to say whether the Department of Agriculture has granted your request for access to MICoR. You should now use the username and password you applied for. If you do not receive an email within two days, contact 02 6272 4581 during business hours, or alternatively email to ask for information and assistance.

What do I do if I have forgotten my password?

  • If you have forgotten your password you can select ’Forgot your password?’ from the login screen.

  • Enter your username in the blank field and click the submit button.

  • Instructions on what to do next will be sent to the registered email address entered on the application form used to request access to MICoR

What do I do if I have forgotten my username?

  • If you have forgotten your username, you will be unable to access MICoR or request a password reset. You may call 02 6272 4581 during business hours, or alternatively, email to ask for information and assistance.

What do I do if I no longer require access to MICoR?

  • You should notify your commodity area at the Department of Agriculture on 02 6272 4581 during business hours, or alternatively, email, to have your access deactivated.

What do I do if I have been locked out of my account?

  • If you enter your password incorrectly three times, MICoR will block your access to MICoR. You cannot re-activate access yourself – you must contact your commodity area to have your access re-activated.
    For MICoR live animal users, send an email to to have your access re-activated.

What do I do if I need to change or edit my password or contact details?

  • Once you are logged in, click on your name, which is located at the top left-hand of the page under the Australian Government logo and the edit details screen will appear with your details pre-populated in the fields.

  • You can change your username, password or your contact details once you are in this screen. When you have completed updating your details, click the commit button to save your changes.

  • You can also request access to additional food export commodities via this screen.

Who do I contact if I need help using MICoR?

  • You may contact the commodity area. If you need help related to information on the content of MICoR, email your commodity directly.

Who do I contact in relation to importing country requirements’ and page content?

The information I am looking for is not in MICoR, where is it?

  • Only importing country requirements that are known to be current or have been verified as correct at the time of publishing are available in MICoR. If importing country requirements of a particular country or commodity that you require are not contained in MICoR, exporters should seek further information by contacting their relevant commodity contact at Department of Agriculture.

How can I search for specific country requirements?

  • You can enter keywords or the importing country into the search field in the coloured banner on the top of the page, or click the ‘Advanced search’ link on the top right-hand corner of your commodity home page   

Can I print content to PDF?

  • Yes, when you have found the required content, select the ‘PDF’ button and it will convert the information into PDF format.

Why am I required to login into MICoR to view some content and not other content?

  • Some of the content is restricted from general viewing, which includes content relating to importing country requirements for the export of livestock. Should you require access to any of this content that is restricted, you must apply to Department of Agriculture for access for MICoR Live Animals.